Guest post: Law School Experience 2


Here is part 2 of the guest post by my friend, The Legal Hermit who has written about his experience at the law school. He also has a blog which you can read here.

If you haven’t read the first part, you can do so here.

My Law School Experience 2

I travelled to Bwari the next day and it was not like I have never seen the Nigerian Law School before, I mean there is a Lagos Campus of the Nigerian Law School, but this one in Bwari was new to me. As I got to the front gate of the campus, I realised there was technically no entrance as the real gate was being remade and so a makeshift entrance was made out of the fence flanking the entrance, and entered. The premises was actually pretty cool and serene, and as I took two steps into the premises I was quickly confronted by the security men as to where I was going and who I was. I introduced myself as a Bar Part II student and told them that I was there for registration. They gave me some documents containing some information about how I should go about the registration and thereafter directed me to the accounting block.

Apparently, this was where the registration process was supposed to start by me changing my bank teller, issued to me by Zenith Bank, into a school fees receipt.


I got to the Accounting Block and was the fourth Bar 2 student to get there. As it is the practice, students names were written down in order to maintain the order in which people turned up which goes with the school’s ‘first come first serve’ principle. So I wrote my name along with the others present and the others who had not started their registration but had been in the school the night before were also showing up. By 9am, the front of the Accounting Block was full of students and as people were showing up they were all writing their names and the idea was to use the names written down as the order upon which the accountants in the accounting blocks will attend to students.

As fate would have it, the rowdy students showed up to disrupt everything and made the whole arrangement inconsequential but I still got attended to before every other person. I half sauntered off half ran to the next registration point – The Auditorium –, which was where the real registration was supposed to start. Hehehe, before I found it, I was looking around the school like ‘Johnny Just Come’ (JJC) but I asked around and I found the place.

I got there and saw so many students who had apparently changed their bank Teller yesterday but could not start their registration until Thursday, so I entered and looked for any familiar faces. Luckily, I saw some that I knew from my school and I asked them what I was supposed to do. The hall is large and at the front was a pretty high stage with steep steps. At the top of the stage were some law school officials from the Student Affairs. At the bottom were the registration point of the various schools. I looked for the point where my school was supposed to be in the crowded hall, and unlike the other points where the people who were to conduct and help student with the forms and registration aids were present, the one person who was to man the registration point for my school was nowhere to be found and it was already 10:30am. I was confused.

By 12pm this person showed up and she was giving us, the students who had to wait for her at her station since morning when her colleagues had resumed by 8am, attitude. I did not even want any wahala. It was too early in the day and it was too new a place to be having a standoff with a stranger. Not that I do such on a normal day.

I got my registration materials from her and took off. I had a deadline of finishing my registration that day to meet up. After, I went to the Student Affairs people at the top of the stage, and there I filled my Student I.D Card information, the law school Yearbook Information and one other totally random thing. I had taken up to like 25 Passport photographs with me for the registration… I only left the hall with less than half. Outside, photographers were lurking and were swooping in on me like Dementors to offer to take 10 passport photographs of me for just 1000 naira. Thankfully I didn’t require that much.

The next point of call was the Health Centre. The registration at the health centre was a bit more organised and calm unlike the crowded and rowdy Auditorium. As I got to the Health Centre, I looked around for the crowd, which was largely non-existent. I joined the queue I met there and waited for my turn to see the doctor. As I was waiting one of the students who came with his friend was telling his friend that on Monday, when the registration started, many students slept at the Health Centre because there were so many students who came for registration that first day and so they all couldn’t be attended to by the doctor, the students had to sleep there. If they had left, there was a high probability they would be at the end of the line the next day.

I congratulated myself for coming on the fourth day for my registration because I am not about that kind of avoidable life. One of the forms we were required to print and bring along with us to the law school was the law school medical form. This form contains the entire test we as students are required to take e.g. urine test, stool test, blood test, eye test, X-Ray, height and weight, etc. It was really deep. It was the results of the tests that we were required to submit to the doctor at the health centre for assessment. If the doctor should decide that we are not healthy enough to attend the law school then hasta la vista. But really I thank God Ebola was not in Nigeria then because I can’t imagine the kind of tests the students will be required to take now, Anyway, with each student holding a big X-Ray folder we waited for our turn to see the doctor. The Doctor saw me, asked some random questions and he took my medical forms and X-Ray folder.

At the end of my health centre registration, I was left the place with a medical card and had a folder opened in my name with them. I was done around 12:45pm. I went back to the Auditorium for my hostel registration in order to get school accommodation. This part of the registration was the fastest. I was asked by the ladies who were in charge if I had a friend who I may want to live with because the Abuja hostel rooms are built for two people. Two rooms share a shower and a toilet, so it was pretty convenient. I told them I didn’t have so they put me with a random person which was okay.

I went to look for my room. It was just open with no one there but some men painting the room along with the other rooms on the same block. After the men were done, I waited to see the room very well, inspected the toilet and shower. The smell of the paint was choking and still strong so I had to switch on the fan. I later saw and met my roommate for the first time. He had already moved into the hostel but because our room was still being painted he was staying with his friends. The next day, which was Friday, I moved into the hostel, because the following week was the Bar Part II Induction for the students that studied in Nigerian universities. Being the curious person that I am, I wanted to get to know my surroundings very well before the law school life would properly begin. Moving into the hostel that Friday was the best option for me.

The next segment will hopefully be posted next week.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s